Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

This is one of the days when I miss living in a small town. If we were in Happy, we would be at the cemetery right now for the annual Memorial Day program. We would see school kids helping with the program and representatives from every generation on up. It is always a great time to see everyone and catch up. The last time I was there, there were still World War II veterans who would be in attendance and be recognized. I'm not sure how many are left now, but I know they are still recognized. We spent many a day walking around "visiting" after the program. By visiting I mean finding the graves of family and friends and reminiscing. Some people might find this strange, but if you are from a small town, I bet you can relate.

Some years we have cut wheat from our fields to put on my Dad's headstone, other years it has been yucca blooming in the pastures and ditches. My grandmother had certain people she bought fresh flowers for, and other people who got silk. Now that job falls to my Mama and sister.

If I were there today, I would visit my Dad, my Granddad Frank and Grandma Gracie, my PaPa Eugene, my Grandmother Sims, and my Uncle Jerry. I hope that one of these years we will be there on Memorial Day so my children can experience it.

1 comment:

Laura said...

We missed you today. T.S. did an outstanding job helping mom put out flowers. Sadie wanted to help, but was getting instruction on her part in the program.
She did a great job.