Tuesday, May 25, 2010

From One Generation to Another

Fishing is a Spivey tradition. The first time Cody and I met, I think his pickup line was something like, "Hey baby, wanna go fishing?" Little did I know that he was serious.

Luckily, Granny and PaPa live on a lake. So this weekend, we were able to celebrate Austin's graduation and still get in some fishing time.
I love to watch the Spivey men fish with the kids. This past weekend, they spent a lot of time catching perch.
Jake also got to go with the big guys to check the trot line. On Saturday, Jake woke me up and said, "Mama, you're missing all the fun!" He then proceeded to give me the fishing report for the morning trot line check. He is a Spivey through and through.
So far neither Josie nor Jake (or their cousins) have taken over the job of baiting their own hooks. Actually, come to think of it, none of them really want to touch the fish after they catch them, but I have no doubt that lesson is coming. For now, Cody and Uncle Cory did most of the dirty work.
Chaz rigged up this bucket to carry the perch that were caught so he wouldn't have to touch them. The only problem was that the fish kept jumping out of the bucket.
There's just something special about watching them fish with their daddies, PaPa and their uncles.


Maybe it's the idea of a tradition being passed from one generation to another.
Maybe it's just knowing that their lives are broader than tv and video games.
Whatever it is, I know we are blessed to be raising another generation of fishermen.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Loved all of the pictures. Made me remember taking the Ark to Mackenzie. Love the new blog look, too.