Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving, we did something we haven't done in a long time...we stayed home. We planned our meal, and it turns out, that I am enough of a grown-up to "do" Thanksgiving.

Okay, I cheated. Enrique at the golf course cooked the turkey, dressing, and gravy, but I (with some help from Cody and Josie and all the people I called for recipes and cooking advice) did the rest. I won't mention how we sat down to eat and realized we had no vegetables except mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes, but I'm not really sure they count. We did have Pea Salad at Cody's request, but I know that doesn't count because no one but Cody was going to touch that stuff. I had planned to cook Funeral Beans (Green Bean Casserole for those people who aren't from a small town), but I totally forgot to do it.

I did, however, fill every one's requests. For Cody, it was Pea Salad, and he got the whole recipe all to himself. For Josie, it was Granny's cream cheese pie. Jake asked for Granny's chocolate cake with chocolate powdered sugar icing. And for myself, I made pecan pie. I tried this recipe from The Pioneer Woman, and it was delicious.

In the end, it didn't matter what foods we had or didn't have. We sat at our dining room table that belonged to Cody's grandparents and filled plates that belonged to my great grandmother, and I thought about how blessed we truly are.

1 comment:

Laura said...

So proud of you...remember when we used to say we'd have pizza for Thanksgiving when we were in charge?