Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Veterans Day

Veterans Day is always a special day at Magnolia Elementary School, and this year was no exception.



Although our program is small in the whole scheme of things, we love honoring the veterans in our school family. Thank you to all the dads, moms, sisters, brothers, grandfathers, and grandmothers who shared November 11 with us this year.

I can remember Veterans Day and Memorial Day programs when I was in school. My grandfathers always came to them. Both of them were World War II veterans. When I was a child, they were part of a large group of men who served during World War II that lived in my small community. It is sad to realize that there are few World War II veterans left to attend programs like this. We had only one World War II veteran at our school program this year. I am grateful that we were still able to honor my grandfathers by putting their pictures on our school Wall of Honor. Each year, I look at those pictures and remember so many things about them that I want to share with my own kids who never got to meet either one.

PaPa flew P-38s, but I remember him trying to teach my brother to drive. It wasn't a very successful lesson, as I recall. My brother came out of the wreck with a black eye and my nose has never been the same. I don't think PaPa was allowed to "teach" driver's ed after that.
Grandad was in the Army during the war, and I am not even sure exactly where he was stationed as he and PaPa rarely talked about the war. My memories of Granddad are of family reunions, stock shows, and playing games like 31 and Liverpool Rummy.

No comments: