Sunday, December 27, 2009

Happy, TX

Before the snowstorm hit the Panhandle, my sister and I took the kids for a walk around town and took a few pictures.
The railroad tracks run through Happy, and grain elevators are situated along the tracks. In college, my summers were spent being a farmhand for my mom. My sister and I drove grain trucks full of wheat during harvest to the elevators.
This is the Happy State Bank on Main Street. I can remember going in here as a kid to borrow money to buy cattle. When my dad would get a load of cattle, he would let us get a few head as well. I think the process of borrowing money was a lot less complicated then.
Most of the buildings on Main Street are empty, but when I was little, there was still a grocery store and a few other businesses. My grandparents ran the Tirey Hardware. I can remember being at the hardware store with Grandma and getting to walk down to the grocery store to get a coke.
This is the Senior Citizen's Center. My grandma used to quilt there weekly.
This door is on a store that is empty, but my mom said it used to be White's Cafe when she was a kid.

This church was the Presbyterian Church for many years. My brother and sister and I were all christened in it. The Presbyterians quit meeting several years ago because their membership was so small (and elderly). Now the building is used by the funeral home in a nearby town when it is needed.

There are still 4 other churches in Happy...Methodist, Baptist, Catholic and Church of Christ.

My Aunt Judy works at the bank and has for as long as I can remember. She let the kids come in even though they were closed so they could see coins being rolled.



They still give out the same balloons that they gave out when I was little.
My sister also posted some great pictures of Happy here on her blog. She and her family live there and her kids are the fifth generation in our family to go to school in Happy.

1 comment:

Laura said...

What a fun adventure we had!