Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Get out the vote!

I'm sure everyone is watching TVright now to see the latest election results. I won't get into particular candidates, but I know my children could tell you who Cody and I both voted for. Regardless of the outcome, I am fearful of our country's future. I pray that the outcome will be positive for the United States. Today at our weekly Bible Study, we discussed whether our parents or grandparents every experienced an election like this where they truly feared for the future of our country.

We had a mock election at school yesterday, and it was very interesting to see the results by classroom, for the school as a whole, and also on the website we used to cast our students' votes. Apparently Jake's Pre-K class also discussed voting. It's hard to imagine leading a discussion on voting with 3 and 4 year olds.

Here's how I can tell that this election has been different than in years past...

*My husband voted for the fist time in the 15 years he has been eligible.

*My 7 year old (very loudly) asks, "Mama, which line is the Obama line?" when we are walking by the polling place to get to the public library.

*My 4 year old tells me that he voted for "Mappew" today at school (aka Matthew--I think). He then throws in something about "John McCain" and says a name resembling "Obama."

I am thankful to live in a country where we can vote and express our political views freely. Right now in my school, we have a Wall of Honor to show our appreciation for Veterans past and present. It is very moving to see all of the pictures and names of all those who have served and are still serving. I love seeing my Pa Pa's and Granddad's pictures from World War II up there. It makes me very proud to know what brave men they were. On Friday, we will have a Veterans Day program to honor veterans. Whatever the outcome of the election is, I pray we are able to continue to instill this appreciation and respect in our children.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm watching TV right now and think I may throw up.

Anyway--you are such a good writer, I love reading your posts! Thanks for so eloquently putting what I've been thinking all day.
Love ya!
Laura

TREY MORGAN said...

You have a beautiful blog and a more beautiful family!

You are blessed. :)

Jen said...

Thanks Trey! I enjoy both of your blogs--I may even become a runner!