Sunday, October 12, 2008

Bible Memory Verse

"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed themselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus."
Galatians 3:26-27
This week's lessons in the Bible study I am working on teach about how we are all "sons of God". The term "sons of God" does not designate the male gender, even though some people feel that it does. The lesson says that if we think the gender symbolism in the Bible has something to do with which gender is better than the other, then we are totally missing the point. The symbolism is all about God and his relationship as Father and has little to do with us. I really don't have a hard time with this idea. Maybe I am just secure in my gender, but it never occurred to me that God might love me less because I am a woman.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Okay, I'm trying, but paragraphs are hard. I'm hoping I'll at least recognize and remember where they are in the Bible so I can look them up if needed.

Jen said...

Paragraphs are hard. This verse is not actually a "memory" verse. We are only on days 2 and 3 of the first week, so the other verse is still the memory verse for the week. It's just taking us 2-3 weeks to get through 1 week. I think I actually have the other one memorized, but not this one. :)